Monday, September 30, 2024

THINKER'S ALMANAC - October 3

What single word has inspired over one hundred thousand people to write an essay about their personal philosophy of life?

Subject:  Personal  Philosophical Credo - This I Believe Essays

Event:  This I Believe book published, 2006


In 1951, a unique radio program called This I Believe began, hosted by the journalist Edward R. Murrow.  The idea was to invite individuals to write and read their personal essays on air.  The basic invitation was to “write a few hundred words expressing the core principles that guide your life -- your personal credo.”  The word credo is from the Latin for “I believe.”


The radio program ran for four years and was later revived on National Public Radio.  To date, over 125,000 essays have been written, and on October 3, 2006, an anthology of This I Believe essays was published.  The collection included essays by people from all walks of life, including such well-known individuals as Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, Anthony Fauci, Helen Keller, and Eleanor Roosevelt.



Image by Rodrigo Pignatta from Pixabay


In one of the thousands of essays that can be accessed online at ThisIbelieve.org, Yvette Doss of South Pasadena, California, shares her discovery and belief in philosophy:


Thanks to philosophers, my new friends, I considered my thoughts worth expressing and later, when I tried my hand at writing, I experienced the joy of seeing my thoughts fill a page.


I believe the wisdom of the ages helped me see beyond my station in life, helped me imagine a world in which I mattered. Philosophy gave me permission to use my mind, and the inspiration to aim high in my goals for myself. Philosophy allowed me to dare to imagine a world in which man can reason his way to justice, women can choose their life’s course, and the poor can lift themselves out of the gutter.


Philosophy taught me that logic makes equals of us all. (1)


When putting together your personal philosophy into a “This I Believe” essay, think of the following four Bs:


1. Be Specific:  Illustrate your belief by telling your story. Show your reader -- instead of telling -- by grounding your core philosophy in specific, concrete details.


2. Be Brief:  Write between 500 and 600 words.  As you revise and edit, read it out loud. It should be about three minutes long when read at a natural pace.


3. Be Positive:  Frame your philosophy in positive terms, and focus on what you DO believe rather than what you DO NOT believe.


4. Be Personal: Write in the first person.  Remember, it’s called “This I Believe,” not “This We Believe” (2).


Recall, Retrieve, Recite, Ruminate, Reflect, Reason: What are the 4 Bs of This I Believe Essays? Which two of the Bs do you think are most important for effective writing and why is each important?

 

Challenge - Create A Credo:  Visit the This I Believe website, and read some of the essays.  Then, keeping the four Bs in mind, write your own essay.


Sources:

1. Doss, Yvette.  “Finding Equality Through Logic”  This I Believe. August 3, 2008

2. “This I Believe Essay Writing Suggestions.”  Thisibelieve.org.


No comments:

Post a Comment

THINKER'S ALMANAC - October 10

Why do we prioritize dental hygiene over mental hygiene?    Subject:  Mental Hygiene - The Semmelweis Analogy Event:  World Health Organizat...